All proposed new members shall be recommended by two current voting and/or participating members and shall be approved by the Membership Committee with final approval by the Board of Directors. The Membership Committees, established by the Board of Directors in both Europe and the United States, shall attest to the completeness of the application and to the fulfillment of membership requirements. All participating members shall pay dues and fees as established by the Board of Directors. The Board, in its discretion, may waive any of the qualifications for membership. A voting and/or participating member may also be removed from membership by the Board of Directors should any of the following occur:
- Failure to timely remit dues or pay any other fees established by the Board;
- Failure to maintain good standing in the medical profession (Physician members);
- No longer actively involved in the ophthalmic field (Industry members);
- A felony conviction.
Any member who allows annual membership dues to lapse for more than 2 years shall be removed from membership with a requirement to re-apply as a condition of reinstatement.
AECOS American Membership Committee:
William Trattler, MD
George O. Waring, IV, MD
-Charleston, South Carolina
AECOS European Membership Committee:
Burkhard Dick, MD
John Kanellopoulos, MD
AECOS Membership Criteria – Physicians
- All proposed AECOS Physician Members shall be recommended by two current voting and/or participating members, and must be licensed to practice medicine in at least one of the United States, Canada, Latin/South America, Europe or the Middle East. In addition, each proposed new Physician Member must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Published 2 peer reviewed papers in the last 5 years
- Published 4 non-peer reviewed papers in the last 5 years
- Published 2 textbook chapters in the last 5 years
- Presented 4 lectures at major national meetings in the last 5 years
- Have participated in 2 major clinical trials in the last 5 years
AECOS Membership Criteria – Industry
- All proposed AECOS Industry Members shall be recommended by two current voting and/or participating members and must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Contributed significantly to the field of ophthalmology or visual sciences as determined by the Board.
- Actively engaged in bringing innovation to the field of ophthalmology and visual sciences as determined by the Board.
- Currently an Officer or Executive Level Manager of a company actively engaged in bringing innovation to the field of ophthalmology and visual sciences as determined by the Board.
The AECOS Industry Membership consists of non-physician industry representatives who are employed by either a commercial or non-commercial entity in the ophthalmic sector.
AECOS Non-Commercial Industry Members
- Provide research, business consulting or investment related services to the ophthalmic sector
- Are not actively engaged in the sale of ophthalmic products
- May attend AECOS Meetings free of charge (except for the nominal meeting administration fee).
AECOS Commercial Industry Members
- Are employed by a commercial entity actively engaged in the sale of ophthalmic products
- Are required to support AECOS meetings and educational programs by securing sponsorships from their respective employers. Such companies are frequently known to have exhibited commercially available ophthalmic products, drugs, devices or equipment at major congresses.
- AECOS Commercial Industry Members may attend AECOS Meetings for which their respective company has not agreed to sponsor, however a registration fee of $5000 will be required.
Questions related to Industry Member meeting attendance and the determination of registration fees shall be presented to and ultimately decided by the AECOS Executive Director.